I’ve been served with a Petition for Divorce in Louisiana. Now what?

Posted by Aaron D. Lawrence | Mar 05, 2023 | 0 Comments

Once you have been served with (or have waived service of) a Petition for Divorce, you have 15 days from the date of service, or waiver thereof, to file an answer. In your answer, you should respond to each allegation made by your spouse in his/her petition. Along with your answer, you may also choose to file a reconventional demand.

It is strongly encouraged that you seek the assistance and advice of an experienced divorce attorney immediately upon being served with a petition for divorce. The sooner you engage counsel, the better your chances of a favorable outcome will be. If you have been served with a petition for divorce, call the Lawrence Law Firm at 318-232-4000 to schedule a consultation.

The blog published by Lawrence Law Firm is available for informational purposes only and is not considered legal advice on any subject matter. By viewing blog posts, the reader understands there is no attorney-client relationship between the reader and the blog publisher. The blog should not be used as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed professional attorney, and readers are urged to consult their own legal counsel on any specific legal questions concerning a specific situation.

About the Author

Aaron D. Lawrence

Aaron is a Criminal Defense and Personal Injury Attorney in Ruston, Louisiana. He received his Juris Doctor and Graduate Diploma in Comparative Law from the Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center. He received his Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences from the University of North Tex...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment