If my spouse had an adulterous affair while we were married, will I have to pay spousal support?

Posted by Aaron D. Lawrence | Feb 19, 2023 | 0 Comments

An award of final periodic support may only be awarded to a party who is found to be free from fault in the breakup of the marriage. A party who is found to have committed adultery would also be found to not be free from fault. While a finding of adultery will bar your spouse's claim for final periodic support (alimony), the court may award your spouse interim support, pending judgment of divorce, upon finding your spouse has a need for support and that you have the ability to pay. When determining whether an award of interim support is proper, the court will consider your current child support obligations (if any) and the standard of living you and your spouse enjoyed during the marriage. If an award for interim support is granted in your case, it will generally terminate within 180 days from the judgment of divorce.

The blog published by Lawrence Law Firm is available for informational purposes only and is not considered legal advice on any subject matter. By viewing blog posts, the reader understands there is no attorney-client relationship between the reader and the blog publisher. The blog should not be used as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed professional attorney, and readers are urged to consult their own legal counsel on any specific legal questions concerning a specific situation.

About the Author

Aaron D. Lawrence

Aaron is a Criminal Defense and Personal Injury Attorney in Ruston, Louisiana. He received his Juris Doctor and Graduate Diploma in Comparative Law from the Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center. He received his Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences from the University of North Tex...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment