How do I prove my spouse committed adultery in Louisiana?

Posted by Aaron D. Lawrence | Feb 05, 2023 | 0 Comments

Adultery must be proven by a preponderance of evidence at trial. While preponderance of evidence is a low evidentiary bar, it is not enough that your spouse admits to committing adultery, even if the admission was written or recorded. You generally need corroborating evidence and must be able to prove, either by direct or circumstantial evidence, the person with whom your spouse had an adulterous relationship and the times and places the adulterous acts took place. While direct evidence of an adulterous act may not be available, circumstantial evidence of opportunity to commit adultery (e.g. spouse and paramour were alone in a setting conducive to sexual relations) and the existence of an intimate relationship (e.g. hugging, kissing, intimate texts, etc.) may be sufficient to prove adultery by preponderance of the evidence. Courts may consider the testimony of the alleged paramour, the testimony of a private investigator, testimony of other witnesses who know the parties to the affair, and any photos or recordings showing either the act itself or opportunity thereof.

If you believe your spouse has committed adultery, and you want to pursue an immediate divorce on those grounds, contact the Lawrence Law Firm at 318-232-4000 to schedule a consultation and to discuss your options.

The blog published by Lawrence Law Firm is available for informational purposes only and is not considered legal advice on any subject matter. By viewing blog posts, the reader understands there is no attorney-client relationship between the reader and the blog publisher. The blog should not be used as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed professional attorney, and readers are urged to consult their own legal counsel on any specific legal questions concerning a specific situation.

About the Author

Aaron D. Lawrence

Aaron is a Criminal Defense and Personal Injury Attorney in Ruston, Louisiana. He received his Juris Doctor and Graduate Diploma in Comparative Law from the Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center. He received his Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences from the University of North Tex...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment