Can I stop my spouse from withdrawing all the money in our bank account pending a divorce judgment?

Posted by Aaron D. Lawrence | Feb 26, 2023 | 0 Comments

Pending a judgment of divorce, either spouse may request a temporary restraining order (TRO) prohibiting the other spouse from encumbering or disposing community property.  This type of TRO is generally requested in a divorce petition or in an answer/reconventional demand. A temporary restraining order of this nature will remain in effect until a hearing on the rule for *preliminary injunction* is held. If the preliminary injunction is granted, the order prohibiting the other spouse from encumbering or disposing of community property will remain in effect until final judgment of divorce.

If you are concerned that your spouse may try to dispose of your money or property pending a judgment of divorce, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible. An experienced family law attorney can help you protect your assets pending resolution in your case. To discuss your options or for assistance in filing a preliminary injunction, contact Lawrence Law Firm online or by calling 318.232.4000.

*A preliminary injunction, in this context, is an order prohibiting one or both parties from engaging in a certain act pending final judgment in a suit. The purpose of a preliminary injunction is to preserve status quo.

The blog published by Lawrence Law Firm is available for informational purposes only and is not considered legal advice on any subject matter. By viewing blog posts, the reader understands there is no attorney-client relationship between the reader and the blog publisher. The blog should not be used as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed professional attorney, and readers are urged to consult their own legal counsel on any specific legal questions concerning a specific situation.

About the Author

Aaron D. Lawrence

Aaron is a Criminal Defense and Personal Injury Attorney in Ruston, Louisiana. He received his Juris Doctor and Graduate Diploma in Comparative Law from the Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center. He received his Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences from the University of North Tex...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment